Welcome to annual training << English Contract Law in Сommodity Trading >>
Annual practical training course
English Contract Law in Сommodity Trading
Simultaneous translation will be provided
On the 25-26th of February Interlegal invites you to join our traditional practical training course «English Contract Law in Сommodity Trading” for the trading and logistics companies.
The peculiarity of the training course is in perfect combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills from experienced lawyers and international arbitrators.
Training content is based on:
- English Contract Law in commodity trading;
- examples and cases of the execution of grain trading contracts;
- overview of current trends in dispute resolution and settlement of disputes.
Speakers will share the current trends on international arbitration institutions and deliver how to avoid the most common mistakes in trading contract performance.
Every day, in the field of international trade and shipping, thousands of contracts are concluded between persons speaking different languages, working in different legal systems, and often having different understandings of the same terms of the contract. That is why the vast majority of market participants use standard forms, developed by specialized associations, when drawing up contracts.
International trade in grains is performed using standard forms of GAFTA and FOSFA contracts. The Grain and Feed Trade Association (GAFTA) and the Federation of Oils, Seeds and Fats Associations (FOSFA) are non-governmental international associations and arbitration bodies, whose main aim is to promote international trade in grain, feed, oils and fats.
Traders and Brokers should be aware that English law plays a dominant part in the international sale of commodities, especially for dry commodities. This is so even where the parties and the cargoes traded have no physical connection with England. English law has a rich history of case law which provides guidance to trading companies when dealing with sales on FOB, CIF and similar terms.
The course will examine and lead participants through the obligations and rights in such contracts and will cover the allied contracts, required in documentary sales, such as Contracts of Carriage (Bills of Lading and Charter Parties), Insurance and Letters of Credit and other documents required by such sale contracts.
We will also cover Dispute Resolution and the value to Traders of being members of Trade associations when it comes to using the various Arbitration Services such Trade Associations provide
Common causes of disputes in the execution of contracts in the Black Sea basin:
- different understanding of the moment from which the obligation to pay for the goods is considered fulfilled,
- delays or loss of payments,
- action of insurmountable circumstances,
- compliance with the default procedure, etc.
Entering into an international commodities contract, a simple rule should be observed: know and understand the provisions and procedure to be included in a contract. And what to do if something goes wrong.
"English Contract Law in Сommodity Trading" training commenced by International Law Firm "Interlegal" (hereinafter - Interlegal) is unique intellectual product of Interlegal based on our legal experience from 1995 and is not supported by any international associations or government bodies.
The event will happen online via Zoom platform
Start – February 25, 11.00 (Ukrainian time)
Moderator: Arthur Nitsevych, partner, Interlegal
Day 1. Business as usual under English Law
11.00 - 11.10 Welcoming participants, technical check
11.10 - 13.10 English law: common principles and mistakes
- What is a contract & how it is formed – importance of consideration.
- No doctrine of good faith in English law “Caveat Emptor” and all that.
- Passing of title – what sellers need to do to get paid promptly
- Destination Restriction Clauses- an update with COVID-19 in mind precautions that should be taken.
- Common mistakes at the contractual correspondence
- Breach of condition, as a right to walk away from the contract & claim damages
- Difference between English common law & civil law jurisdictions
- Bill of Lading, Contract and Charter Party: correlation and impact.
- Demurrage under the Charter Party and commercial contract: main differences
Speaker: Richard Faint, LMAA arbitrator, GAFTA ex-arbitrator, FOSFA arbitrator, United Kingdom
13.10 - 14.10 Q&A Session
Day 2. "If something goes wrong"
Arbitration in London: useful tips
Speaker: Andrey Perepelitsa, maritime and arbitration expert
Contract execution issues in container transportation of grain & oilseeds
Karyna Gorovaya, senior associate, Interlegal
Recent Black Sea practice case study (TOP 5 high importance cases on contract execution, dispute settlements and claims handling procedures)
Speakers: Alexey Remeslo, partner, Interlegal; Igor Kostov, associate attorney, Interlegal; Mykola Kozachenko, lawyer, Interlegal
Participation cost: 250 EUR
When registering two or more participants, the organizer provides a 10% discount on the participation for the 2nd or more participants. The organizer reserves the right to limit and/or reject entry for non-core service companies.
Contact person: Tatiana Lysenko, +38 095 231 25 10, firstname.lastname@example.org
The recording will be available for participants during 2 weeks.
Any references to third parties are used exclusively and only for descriptive purposes and not intended to infringe any rights of such third parties
- Container Transportation in Georgia: market, claims and freight issues2021.04.02
Container Transportation in Georgia: market, claims and freight issues May 20 14.00 Georgia Standard Time (GET), UTC...show more
- Port development in Ukraine – concessions and privatization2021.04.01
Interlegal Port Talks Free Webinar April 23 Port development in Ukraine – concessions and privatization Media-partners:...show more
- Cargo Recovery & Debt Collection in Ukraine2021.04.01
Cargo Recovery & Debt Collection in Ukraine Free Webinar April, 13 12.00 (Uk...show more
- International Business: Companies, Accounts and Taxes2021.03.25
Interlegal invites you to attend the traditional annual seminar International Business: Companies, Accounts and Taxes. This seminar awak...show more
- Grain&Maritime Days in Odessa 20212021.03.01
For the 20th times the largest international event Grain&Maritime Days in Odessa 2021 will gather experts of grain and marine business....show more
- Free Webinar on Subrogation & Recourse in Ukraine & Turkey2021.02.19
Subrogation & Recourse In Ukraine & Turkey Free Webinar March 17 11.00 (Ukrainian time) On March 17 Int...show more
- Welcome to annual training << English Contract Law in Сommodity Trading >>2021.01.25
Annual practical training course ONLINE February 25-26 English Contract Law in Сommodity Tradin...show more
- SHIPPING & TRADE DAY: online conference by Interlegal2020.12.09
On December 9, Interlegal held online conference SHIPPING & TRADE DAY, while international law firm INCE was its exclusive partner....show more
- Turkey: Shipping & Trade in 2020 (online webinar)2020.12.09
On December 2, Interlegal Ukrainian and Georgian offices held by Zoom platform a free online webinar – Turkey: Shipping & Trade in 2020,...show more
- TURKEY: SHIPPING & TRADE IN 20202020.11.25
FREE WEBINAR TURKEY: SHIPPING & TRADE IN 2020 December, 2 Start at: 11.00 (Ukrainian time)...show more