Arbitral award of International Commercial Arbitration Court at the Ukrainian Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Georgia
Interlegal represented the interests of their Client, one of the major producers of fat and oil commodities, in respect of recognition and enforcement of arbitral award of ICAC against a Georgian company.
Under the Georgian law, recognition of foreign arbitral awards is conducted by the Supreme Court of Georgia. After the award is recognized, the creditor shall apply to enforcement bureau of Georgia, which performs the enforcement of judgments.
Interlegal has prepared and served all the documents necessary for the court’s consideration. Generally the procedure of recognition of a judgment under Georgian law takes around 2 months and does not require oral hearings. Yet, in this matter, the debtor took an active part in the proceedings and served several objections against recognition which led to appointment of oral hearing by the judge of Supreme Court.
The main argument of the debtor was that the conclusions of the ICAC in respect of awarding penalties contradicts the public order of Georgia, therefore, the award of ICAC could not be recognized. Under the Georgian law provisions, in the event the penalties exceed half of the amount of the main indebtedness, they can be regarded by the court as ungrounded enrichment. During the oral hearing Interlegal managed to persuade the Supreme Court that the award of ICAC did not contradict the public order of Georgia, as the amount of penalties did not evidence the possibility of ungrounded enrichment by the creditor.
The Supreme Court made a judgment in favour of the client of Interlegal and recognized the award of ICAC in full and Interlegal proceeded to enforcement of the arbitral award.
- Interlegal lawyers represent successfully the Client’s interests upon bankruptcy case proceedings2020.10.15
Interlegal Client found out that its Debtor initiated independently bankruptcy case proceedings. Interlegal lawyers got involved upon expiry...show more
- Mission possible: to release vessel with cargo on board within 3 days2020.10.06
In high-peak trading season, each trader is focused on fulfilling its obligations as the counteragent, having completely forgotten that the...show more
- Lawfulness of bunkering operations outside the 12-mile zone2020.10.01
The Client filed a request to Interlegal concerning law regulations of bunkering operations outside the 12-mile zone. Interlegal law team...show more
- Shareholder Agreement for new business setup2020.09.30
The Client filed a request to Interlegal for legal support in business setup jointly with his new partner. Main task for Interlegal team...show more
- Debt recovery under LMAA award. Act III: final stage2020.09.28
We are glad to inform that Interlegal team has completed proceedings on debt recovery from the vessel owner who failed to refund to our Clie...show more
- Interlegal team won GAFTA Arbitration under the dispute concerning short-payment for goods by the Swiss company2020.09.28
Interlegal completed successfully GAFTA Arbitration under the dispute concerning short-payment for corn supplied on DAP terms, Chernomorsk S...show more
- Interlegal lawyers succeeded in dispute settlement between the Shipowner and the Charterer2020.09.03
The Client applied to Interlegal upon the issue of shipowner’s potential bringing to responsibility for non-performance of the Charter Party...show more
- Interlegal won the court dispute against large state-owned stevedore2020.09.08
The Client – port operator – applied to Interlegal for due diligence of one of state-owned stevedores. Such due dil...show more
- Discharge of cargo residues and washwater: instruments of legal defense for Interlegal client2020.09.04
Since the State Enterprise “Ukrainian Sea Ports Authority” (USPA), jointly with other governmental bodies (such as the State Borde...show more
- Interlegal defended interests of “thyssenkrupp Materials Trading GmbH” in Court of Appeal of Donetsk2020.09.03
Recently, in Court of Appeal of Donetsk there was a hearing of a case concerning an appeal against the ruling of Kramatorsk Town Court of Do...show more