‘Christmas Meetings in Elizabetes Street: Crediting Issues of Shipowners and Some Aspects of Legal Relationships’’
On 10 December 2010 the Christmas meeting was held at Monika Centrum Hotels in Elizabetes Street, Riga. The meeting gathered representatives of Latvian and Russian banks engaged into crediting of shipping and law companies specialized in maritime law.
The Managing Partner of International Law Offices, Arthur Nitsevych, participated in the traditional Christmas Reading organized and held by associated partners ‘Marine Legal Services’.
On Christmas Eve and New Year, with Jingle Bells background, tasting mull wine and pipark?kas, organizers of the meeting, lawyers of the Latvian law firm ‘Marine Legal Services’, Kuznetsov Eduard and Yuliya Kazmina, proposed to their clients and colleagues to discuss the issue having been arisen during 2010, namely, how to build the relations between banks being loan providers with the borrowers in case of default in payment under the loan agreements if the subject of crediting is a vessel or several vessels.
The meeting was attended by the Chairman of Riga District Arbitration Court, Mr Leonid Ausinch and representatives of commercial banks of Latvia (AS ‘Latvijas Biznesa Banka’, AS ‘Baltikums’, AS ‘Aizkraukles Banka’, AS ‘Norvik Banka’, AS ‘Swedbank’) and Russia (OJSC ‘VTB-Leasing’ and OJSC ‘Morskoy Bank’).
The hopes of the organizers came true, a lot of questions had been put at the meeting related to the issue in question, namely:
& bull; formalizing the vessel’s mortgages in various jurisdictions, peculiarities in executing the required documents considering legislation of the corresponding countries;
• possible actions of the bank to protect their interests in case of actual insolvency of the shipowner;
• choice of the arbitration or court to hear the claims of the banks on the merits;
• jurisdictions preferable for arrest of the vessels (according to the duration, costs);
• jurisdictions preferable for enforcement of the vessels’ sale (according to the duration, costs).
Besides the organizers, lawyers from various law companies gave answers to the questions at the meeting among which were Andrey Suprunenko, Maxim Puslis, Andrey Shashorin (Saint Petersburg, Moscow) and Arthur Nitsevych, Managing Partner of International Law Offices (Kiev/Odessa).
The Chairman of Riga District Arbitration Court, Leonid Ausinch, covered the court practice, namely, procedural peculiarities of the shipping cases heard in arbitration court.
The meeting was followed by the dinner and the foreign participants visited the Freeport of Riga where they could go on board of ‘Varna’ ice-breaker; besides, they could see the Latvian Coast Guard Service and the Historic Centre of Riga.
- Interlegal lawyers represent successfully the Client’s interests upon bankruptcy case proceedings2020.10.15
Interlegal Client found out that its Debtor initiated independently bankruptcy case proceedings. Interlegal lawyers got involved upon expiry...show more
- Mission possible: to release vessel with cargo on board within 3 days2020.10.06
In high-peak trading season, each trader is focused on fulfilling its obligations as the counteragent, having completely forgotten that the...show more
- Lawfulness of bunkering operations outside the 12-mile zone2020.10.01
The Client filed a request to Interlegal concerning law regulations of bunkering operations outside the 12-mile zone. Interlegal law team...show more
- Shareholder Agreement for new business setup2020.09.30
The Client filed a request to Interlegal for legal support in business setup jointly with his new partner. Main task for Interlegal team...show more
- Debt recovery under LMAA award. Act III: final stage2020.09.28
We are glad to inform that Interlegal team has completed proceedings on debt recovery from the vessel owner who failed to refund to our Clie...show more
- Interlegal team won GAFTA Arbitration under the dispute concerning short-payment for goods by the Swiss company2020.09.28
Interlegal completed successfully GAFTA Arbitration under the dispute concerning short-payment for corn supplied on DAP terms, Chernomorsk S...show more
- Interlegal lawyers succeeded in dispute settlement between the Shipowner and the Charterer2020.09.03
The Client applied to Interlegal upon the issue of shipowner’s potential bringing to responsibility for non-performance of the Charter Party...show more
- Interlegal won the court dispute against large state-owned stevedore2020.09.08
The Client – port operator – applied to Interlegal for due diligence of one of state-owned stevedores. Such due dil...show more
- Discharge of cargo residues and washwater: instruments of legal defense for Interlegal client2020.09.04
Since the State Enterprise “Ukrainian Sea Ports Authority” (USPA), jointly with other governmental bodies (such as the State Borde...show more
- Interlegal defended interests of “thyssenkrupp Materials Trading GmbH” in Court of Appeal of Donetsk2020.09.03
Recently, in Court of Appeal of Donetsk there was a hearing of a case concerning an appeal against the ruling of Kramatorsk Town Court of Do...show more