Copyright on computer software in Bulgaria
Interlegal regular client (Bulgarian shipping company) has developed its own computer software for debugging the company management processes and for making it easier to work upon documents of the flag administrations. The client applied to Interlegal for preventive protection of such software from unauthorized use by third parties.
Computer software is a literary work and is protected by copyright automatically from the moment of its creation. Separate state registration is not required. However, in order to certify indisputability of their rights, authors apply frequently copyright registration: in Ukraine such procedure is prescribed by the law, while both in Bulgaria and the EU the authors do not have such an opportunity.
With regards to such specification, we have drafted a plan for computer software safety in Bulgaria. One of the tools was registration of a trademark in the EU registry (EUIPO). Incorporation of the creator’s name and trademark into computer software facilitates legal presumption of authorship.
It should be noted also that copyright on computer software shall belong to the company in case when software was created by the company employees in the framework of their employment relations or by third-party developers under the Service Agreement. Therefore, in order to protect legal entity’s copyright on software, it is important to have documentary evidence of the grounds for its occurrence.
- Interlegal lawyers won the case in London2020.12.21
The Client – Ukrainian company engaged in design and engineering works for foreign firms – applied to Interlegal, due to non-payment by the...show more
- Procedural delay: it shan’t pass!2020.12.10
Interlegal lawyers again defended interests of their client - thyssenkrupp Materials Trading GmbH under longstanding case proceedings upon r...show more
- Ship release in Belgium2020.12.14
The client – owner of the vessel detained by Port State Control at one of the Belgian Ports, applied to Interlegal for vessel release as soo...show more
- Case legal support: cargo loss due to accident2020.11.30
Interlegal lawyers succeeded in case settlement upon reimbursement of lose cargo value, due to accident. In the process of fertilizer car...show more
- Interlegal lawyers consulted the client upon legal effects of the Law No. 466 for its business2020.11.26
A regular client applied to Interlegal for legal advice upon legal effects due to entry into force of amendments to the Tax Code of Ukraine,...show more
- Interlegal lawyers applied to the State Regulatory Service of Ukraine for non-admission to adopt a Draft Order of the Ministry of Infrastructure2020.11.18
On 12.10.2020, a Draft Order of the Ministry of Infrastructure of Ukraine “On Approval of the Procedure for Fixing a Prohibition to Operate...show more
- Shipowners may refund costs, paid unlawfully to USPA2020.11.05
Decision of the Antitrust Committee of Ukraine (case No. 910/1106/20) entered into legal force, and now shipowners are free to defend th...show more
- Winning a Lost Case: When Negotiations are Crucial2020.11.04
In fact, no one will give an obvious answer to the above question; however, the golden rule Strongest are Lucky has not been canceled. In...show more
- Interlegal law team settled the dispute upon demurrage at the port of discharge2020.11.04
Interlegal teem succeeded in pretrial settlement of the Buyer’s claim against the Seller upon demurrage at the port of discharge. The Cli...show more
- Interlegal lawyers provided legal support of yacht sale & purchase at 1.5 million EUR2020.10.29
Interlegal regular client filed a request for legal support of yacht (30 meters long) sale & purchase amounting to 1.5 million EUR. I...show more