Debt recovery from the vessel after change of shipowner
The Client, one of the leading ship repair entities in the Black Sea Region, applied to Interlegal due to full non-payment by the customer, shipowner, of the vessel repair been performed and accepted by the customer.
Situation was complicated by the fact that the customer sold the vessel to third persons and failed to notify the Client. After receiving the demand for payment the customer stated that upon the transfer of such ownership rights all requests related to payment for the vessel repair shall be addressed to the new shipowners.
In addition, under general rules provided, inter alia, by the International Convention on Maritime Liens and Mortgages 1993, to which Ukraine accessed in 2002, debt for repair work shall not follow the vessel. In such a way, having sold the vessel to new owners, the former shipowner may avoid responsibility for the debt for repair work. This problem often arises under other debts related to the supply to vessels.
To settle the dispute, the Client applied to Interlegal.
Interlegal lawyers analyzed the terms of the vessel repair contract and the customer’s guarantees provided to the ship repair entity. Situation might have been settled by means of negotiations between the Client, the customer and the new shipowners, following the customer’s additional guarantees. Interlegal lawyers developed legal arguments which served as grounds for such additional guarantees. In addition, the motivated claim was drafted and addressed to the shipowners.
As the result, payment for the vessel repair was made in full, according to the payment schedule agreed by the parties. The vessel was delivered to the new shipowners.
- Interlegal lawyers recognized the German court decision at Darnitskiy District Court in Kiev2020.01.15
A foreign transport company filed a request to Interlegal on recognition of the German court decision in their favour. The Debtor – Ukrai...show more
- Interlegal Ukrainian and Romanian offices completed successfully the2019.12.18
Previously, the Client – leading insurance company specialized in risk insurance during cargo transportation applied to Interlegal for damag...show more
- Interlegal lawyers consulted the client upon income taxation2019.12.17
The client applied to Interlegal upon explaining procedure of taxation on income received by non-resident under the Agreement on arranging t...show more
- Interlegal, jointly with Georgian office, drafted legal opinion upon lawfulness of customs office actions2019.11.29
The Client, Georgian freight forwarder, applied to Interlegal upon analyzing lawfulness of customs office and customs warehouse actions aime...show more
- Interlegal lawyers drafted for the Client agreement on yacht charter management2019.11.28
A client filed a request to Interlegal upon documentation required for yacht chartering. The Client planned to conclude agreement on yacht c...show more
- Interlegal lawyers defended interests of German transport companies in three court proceedings simultaneously2019.11.13
Interlegal lawyers applied to Kozelets District Court in Chernigov Region on recognizing several German court decisions on damage and intere...show more
- Interlegal consulted IT-company upon specifications for applying NDA in Ukraine2019.11.06
A foreign company engaged in AI, Big Data, IoT, software installation and maintenance, applied to Interlegal. The company planned to expand...show more
- Interlegal lawyers won the LCIA Arbitration case amounting to 660 thousand USD2019.11.06
The Ukrainian grain supplier engaged in large-scale international business applied to Interlegal for debt recovery from the Buyer (British C...show more
- Interlegal acted as creditor’s legal adviser in the dispute against PJSC “Ukrzaliznytsia”2019.10.31
Interlegal lawyers facilitated evidence base aimed to confirm the large transport and forwarding company’s claims against PJSC “Ukrzaliznyts...show more
- Interlegal won one more case in favour of thyssenkrupp Materials Trading GmbH2019.10.28
Interlegal applied to Kramatorsk City Court in Donetsk Region on recognizing ICAC at the UCCI Award on debt recovery from the Ukrainian comp...show more