Interlegal lawyers won GAFTA arbitration case in the amount of 200,000 USD
Interlegal succeeded in GAFTA arbitration settlement of the dispute, due to the Buyer’s failure to pay for wheat flour supplied on CFR terms, Toamasina sea port, Madagascar.
A Client applied to Interlegal, as the Seller under trade contract with the large Indian company. The Seller supplied in several batches the goods in containers. Payment should have been made in two installments: 10% as prepayment upon each batch, 90% as direct debit, i.e. against the documents, by bank transfer.
Payment delay occurred at the stage of the contract performance. Two shipped batches remained unpaid against the documents. However the Seller obtained information that the Beneficiary’s bank has issued cargo documents to the latter without payment.
The Buyer explained that payment delay was caused by problems concerning the cargo ultimate beneficiaries in Madagascar. At the stage of claims handling, Interlegal lawyers managed to recover payment from the Buyer partially. To recover the second installment, the Client had to apply to GAFTA arbitration, since the Buyer just made promises and tried to avoid responsibility for payment, mainly due to the Seller’s alleged violations.
In the framework of GAFTA arbitration, the Buyer filed multiple letters of protests, referring, in particular, to alleged problems upon cargo quality and violations of delivery period.
Interlegal lawyers have duly supported the Seller’s positions and proved that the Client fulfilled all its obligations without any violations. Arbitrators supported in full the Seller’s payment claims.
Interlegal lawyer Valeria Ivanova represented the Client’s interests at GAFTA arbitration.
- Mediation: Interlegal lawyers settled the dispute under the Ship Repair Contract2020.06.25
The Client – foreign shipowner applied to Interlegal for dispute settlement due to its indebtedness under the Ship Repair Contract. COVID...show more
- Interlegal yachting lawyers supported insurance event upon recovery of 60,000 EUR2020.06.25
Interlegal regular client declared on insurance event concerning tender insured by our partners – Marine Services Group at one of the larges...show more
- Interlegal facilitated defense of freight forwarder’s interests against container line2020.06.22
Freight forwarder applied to Interlegal due to cargo damage that occurred during carriage by sea. Freight forwarder, on behalf of its cli...show more
- Interlegal settled the dispute upon non-payment for the goods by large Chinese importer2020.06.18
Interlegal succeeded in pretrial dispute settlement. The Client, engaged in pine timber export to China, applied for defense of its rights a...show more
- Interlegal lawyers supported 4 deals in fleet sale & purchase2020.06.17
Pandemic is not an obstacle for vessel sale & purchase! Despite COVID-19 epidemic and quarantine restrictions, spring 2020 was full of d...show more
- Interlegal is still representing Odessa in Best Lawyers rating2020.06.12
Interlegal partners Arthur Nitsevych and Artem Skorobogatov confirmed their positions in four nominations of the popular rating Best Lawyers...show more
- Interlegal succeeded in closing ten loans2020.06.10
The Client filed a request to Interlegal upon legal assistance in support of closing ten loans. Interlegal team had two tasks: 1. To min...show more
- Work flow chart upon declaration of dividends2020.06.01
The Client applied to Interlegal upon tax issue. As the Ukrainian citizen and resident, the Client received dividends from the foreign compa...show more
- Interlegal lawyers consulted the client upon applying the instrument of agrarian receipts2020.05.20
The Client – large foreign investment fund filed a request to Interlegal regarding mechanisms upon securing fulfillment of the Debtor’s obli...show more
- Interlegal drafted new combined service agreement on cargo handling2020.05.18
The Client – large Ukrainian sea port operator engaged, in particular, in rendering services of export & import operations, as well as l...show more