Ukraine and Cyprus has signed the new tax agreement
During the official visit of Victor Yanukovich to the republic of Cyprus several bilateral documents were signed, in particular in such important fields as commercial maritime shipping, air communication, agriculture, investment cooperation, business activity and in double taxation.
Ivan Movlyak, the associated partner of the International Law Offices Interlegal, has made a comment on the situation.
First information on clauses of the new Convention on avoiding double taxation appeared today, on 09.11.2012, in mass media with the reference to the source in the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. It is the following:
The convention instead of zero taxation of dividends provides introduction of 5% rate if the owner possesses no less than 20% of the Company’s capital or has invested no less that 100 thousand Euros in acquisition of shares. The royalty will be imposed by 10% tax (now it is 0%), income of active debt - 2% (0%). All other incomes (of property alienation, hire work, pension, director fees)can be taxable according to the law of the contract party.
How will it influence on the current structures which use Cyprus?
If it happens indeed, it should not make a large influence on business structures which use Cyprus:
- Tax on dividend repatriation in the volume of 5% is a typical rate used by Ukraine regarding to significant number of the countries. So it will not be the worse situation for Cyprus, even the equal as compared to others;
- The similar situation concerns the royalty in the volume of 10%;
- Tax on interest repatriation in the volume of 2%. Will it be much or not? Figures say that for each $10 000 of the interests paid $200 (!) will have to be paid to the budget of Ukraine. I do not believe that it will be a great impact on the necessity to change jurisdiction of the managing company.
- On the basis of the abovementioned information 0% on selling the corporate rights remain unchanged, which will also preserve the positions of Cyprus as holding jurisdiction.
Anyway we need to wait with the final comments until the official text becomes available for public.
Ivan Movlyak, the associated partner of the International Law Offices Interlegal, has made a comment on the situation concerning new agreements with Cyprus.
- Interlegal team won GAFTA Arbitration under the dispute concerning short-payment for goods by the Swiss company2020.09.28
Interlegal completed successfully GAFTA Arbitration under the dispute concerning short-payment for corn supplied on DAP terms, Chernomorsk S...show more
- Interlegal lawyers succeeded in dispute settlement between the Shipowner and the Charterer2020.09.03
The Client applied to Interlegal upon the issue of shipowner’s potential bringing to responsibility for non-performance of the Charter Party...show more
- Interlegal won the court dispute against large state-owned stevedore2020.09.08
The Client – port operator – applied to Interlegal for due diligence of one of state-owned stevedores. Such due dil...show more
- Discharge of cargo residues and washwater: instruments of legal defense for Interlegal client2020.09.04
Since the State Enterprise “Ukrainian Sea Ports Authority” (USPA), jointly with other governmental bodies (such as the State Borde...show more
- Interlegal defended interests of “thyssenkrupp Materials Trading GmbH” in Court of Appeal of Donetsk2020.09.03
Recently, in Court of Appeal of Donetsk there was a hearing of a case concerning an appeal against the ruling of Kramatorsk Town C...show more
- Interlegal defended world freight forwarder`s interests in court, allowing no damages recover totaling up to UAH 15 million2020.09.01
Interlegal got a request from a Client, one of the world's largest forwarders, to protect his interests in enforcement proceedings to recove...show more
- Group of companies: structuring as a holding company2020.08.17
The client – large foreign shipowner applied to Interlegal upon corporate issues regarding Liberian companies acting as nominal shipowners....show more
- Interlegal lawyers refunded costs for a cancelled travel2020.08.11
A Client apply to Interlegal for refund of costs on travel to exotic country – naturally being cancelled due to closing borders and cancelli...show more
- Yacht Charter Parties 2020: what to stipulate in autumn?2020.08.06
In the framework of regular services for one of our Client’s commercial yachts, Interlegal supported conclusion of Charter Parties in autumn...show more
- Ship arrest preserved: the Debtor paid due amount2020.08.05
On March 24, 2020, we wrote that Interlegal lawyers arrested the vessel flying under foreign flag, in Kherson Sea Port water area, followed...show more