Interlegal lawyers facilitated vessel release from arrest in Libya
Interlegal lawyers, jointly with their Libyan colleagues, prevented forced sale of the vessel, which stayed under arrest at the port of Misurata.
Unlawful ship arrest has been organized by the Libyan charterers who initiated local court proceedings in breach of arbitration clause stipulated by the Charter Party. The court matter was impeded by procedural tricks, abuse of procedural rights and delay of case consideration by the claimants. The claimants used also unofficial methods of clannish influence on the court which, in view of political unrest in Libya, could result in alienation of shipowner’s property. Later, the Misurata port authorities joined the ship arrest procedure.
At two instances, shipowner’s lawyers managed to prove unlawfulness of ship arrest and claims laid by charterers and port authorities, obtained and enforced a final award, which let the vessel sail from Libya after more than one year of arrest.
- Maritime claim as grounds for amicable settlement2020.08.04
The Client – large Ukrainian stevedoring company applied to Interlegal for reimbursement of damages caused by the vessel in the process of c...show more
- Interlegal expands its presence in the annual research Ukrainian Law Firms2020.07.29
Interlegal law firm expands its presence in the annual research Ukrainian Law Firms 2020. A Handbook for Foreign Clients. Apart...show more
- Interlegal team helped the Charterer to charge losses upon cargo shortage2020.07.29
The Charterer applied to Interlegal upon the trade contract, based on cargo shortage at the discharge port and the Buyer’s failure to pay co...show more
- Interlegal lawyers arrested the vessel in Turkey for debt recovery2020.07.23
This February, we wrote that Interlegal won LMAA arbitration case amounting to 460 thousand USD. In addition, our law team facilitated issui...show more
- Interlegal lawyers succeeded in legal support of recognizing arbitration award in Ukraine2020.07.21
Interlegal lawyers defended interests of the foreign food manufacturer in Ukraine and supported recognition of ICAC at the UCCI award, previ...show more
- VAT recovery: what should we do in case of tax service rejection?2020.07.01
The Client applied to Interlegal upon VAT recovery. In the process of tax inspection, control body issued the Act on rejection of VAT recove...show more
- Mediation: Interlegal lawyers settled the dispute under the Ship Repair Contract2020.06.25
The Client – foreign shipowner applied to Interlegal for dispute settlement due to its indebtedness under the Ship Repair Contract. COVID...show more
- Interlegal yachting lawyers supported insurance event upon recovery of 60,000 EUR2020.06.25
Interlegal regular client declared on insurance event concerning tender insured by our partners – Marine Services Group at one of the larges...show more
- Interlegal facilitated defense of freight forwarder’s interests against container line2020.06.22
Freight forwarder applied to Interlegal due to cargo damage that occurred during carriage by sea. Freight forwarder, on behalf of its cli...show more
- Interlegal settled the dispute upon non-payment for the goods by large Chinese importer2020.06.18
Interlegal succeeded in pretrial dispute settlement. The Client, engaged in pine timber export to China, applied for defense of its rights a...show more