Annual practical course "ENGLISH CONTRACT LAW. Sale Contracts and Charter Parties"
Annual practical training course
ENGLISH CONTRACT LAW. Sale Contracts and Charter Parties
English/Russian simultaneous translation will be provided via Zoom platform
On March 23-24 Interlegal law firm and Black Sea Institute of Maritime and Trade law invites you to join our traditional practical training course “ENGLISH CONTRACT LAW. Sale contracts and Charter Parties” for the trading and logistics companies.
The peculiarity of the training course is - perfect combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills from experienced lawyers and international arbitrators. Training content is based on:
- English Contract Law in commodity trading;
- examples and cases of the execution of grain trading contracts;
- overview of current trends in dispute resolution and settlement of disputes.
Speakers will share the current trends on international arbitration institutions and deliver how to avoid the most common mistakes in trading contract performance.
Every day, in the field of international trade and shipping, thousands of contracts are concluded between persons speaking different languages, working in different legal systems, and often having different understandings of the same terms of the contract. That is why the vast majority of market participants use standard forms, developed by specialized associations, when drawing up contracts.
International trade in grains is performed using standard forms of GAFTA and FOSFA contracts. The Grain and Feed Trade Association (GAFTA) and the Federation of Oils, Seeds and Fats Associations (FOSFA) are non-governmental international associations and arbitration bodies, whose main aim is to promote international trade in grain, feed, oils and fats.
Traders and Brokers should be aware that English law plays a dominant part in the international sale of commodities, especially for dry commodities. This is so even where the parties and the cargoes traded have no physical connection with England. English law has a rich history of case law which provides guidance to trading companies when dealing with sales on FOB, CIF and similar terms.
The course will examine and lead participants through the obligations and rights in such contracts and will cover the allied contracts, required in documentary sales, such as Contracts of Carriage (Bills of Lading and Charter Parties), Insurance and Letters of Credit and other documents required by such sale contracts.
We will also cover Dispute Resolution and the value to Traders of being members of Trade associations when it comes to using the various Arbitration Services such Trade Associations provide
Common causes of disputes in the execution of contracts in the Black Sea basin:
- different understanding of the moment from which the obligation to pay for the goods is considered fulfilled,
- delays or loss of payments,
- action of insurmountable circumstances,
- compliance with the default procedure, etc.
Entering into an international commodities contract, a simple rule should be observed: know and understand the provisions and procedure to be included in a contract. And what to do if something goes wrong.
"ENGLISH CONTRACT LAW. Sale contracts and Charter Parties" course, commenced by International Law Firm "Interlegal" (hereinafter - Interlegal) is unique intellectual product of Interlegal based on our legal experience from 1995 and is not supported by any international associations or government bodies.
The event will happen online via Zoom platform
Start – March 23, 11.00 (Ukrainian time)
Moderator: Arthur Nitsevych, partner, Interlegal
March 23. Day 1. Business as usual under English law
Richard Faint, LMAA arbitrator, GAFTA ex-arbitrator, FOSFA arbitrator, United Kingdom
Aybek Akhmedov, Interlegal associated office, Uzbekistan
Igor Kostov, associate attorney, Interlegal
- English Contract Matters - intro
- General principles of English contract law
- Correspondence in negotiating contracts: special features and common mistakes.
- Types of contractual terms, consequences of the breaches.
- Main terms and conditions of contracts for sale and purchase of commodities.
- Performance of contracts. Practical recommendations.
- Defaults: standard clauses, mechanism, consequences and recommendations.
- Damages, their recovery and mitigation under English law.
March 24. Day 2. Trade contract and Charter
Mykola Kozachenko, lawyer Interlegal
Ganna Domuschi, lawyer, Interlegal
Igor Kostov, associate attorney, Interlegal
Karyna Gorovaya, senior associate, Interlegal
- Relationship between trader and carrier: bill of lading, contract and charter party.
- Types of charter parties in grain and oilseed carriage. Most common proformas.
- Main terms and conditions of charter parties.
- Laytime, demurrage and dispatch.
- Payments of freight and hire. Demurrage and dispatch settlement.
- Container transportation of grain cargoes
- Force Majeure and performance of contracts.
- English arbitration (including GAFTA and FOSFA): main stages, deadlines and costs.
- Enforcement of arbitration awards.
- Case study on shipping from Interlegal practice.
- Case study on trade from Interlegal practice.
- Case study on arbitration from Interlegal practice.
Registration fee per one delegate till March 15: 250 EUR
Registration fee per one delegate after March 15: 270 EUR
When registering two or more participants, the organizer provides a 10% discount on the participation for the 2nd or more participants. The organizer reserves the right to limit and/or reject entry for non-core service companies.
Contact person: Tatiana Lysenko, +38 095 231 25 10, firstname.lastname@example.org
The recording will be available for participants during 2 weeks.
Any references to third parties are used exclusively and only for descriptive purposes and not intended to infringe any rights of such third parties
- MeetUp: War Times Interlegal Specials2022.05.06
Interlegal jointly with our partners EBA, APK-Inform, Dolphin Cargo Service, Interparus, Englishlaw.report,&nbs...
2022 was a year of dramatic changes in the global food and grain market, primarily as a result of Russia's military invasion of Ukraine....
Dear colleagues, Interlegal law firm invites shipping, transport and international trade companies, lawyers, P&I clubs, insurance...
Annual practical training course ONLINE March 23-24 ENGLISH CONTRACT LAW. Sale Cont...
Virtual Event SHIPPING & TRADE DAY December 15 Start: 11.00 CET Exclusive sponsor Interlegal...
On October 22, 2021, Interlegal jointly with Kronos Bulkers invite you to the conference “Sea of Grain: Vital issues upon grain carriage...
DobroRun: charity race in Odesa aimed to support children with cancer Interlegal law firm joins the charity initiative DobroRun aimed...
On April 28 Interlegal invite you to join our free online seminar “Modern Shipping in Black Sea region”. Webinar topics will be of int...
Container Transportation in Georgia: market, claims and freight issues May 20 14.00 Georgia Standard Time (GET), UTC...
Interlegal Port Talks Free Webinar April 23 Port development in Ukraine – concessions and privatization Media-partners:...