ENGLISH CONTRACT LAW «3D: Default, Demurrage, Detention»
We teach English Law in the language you understand!
Dear friends, we are announcing the beginning of our annual English Law Course. Interlegal team, jointly with Black Sea Institute of Maritime and Trade law & The Nautical Institute of Ukraine, traditionally has prepared a unique program for training course.
Date: April 12-13, 2023, at 12:00 PM Kyiv local time
Venue: online, by ZOOM platform
The course provides for simultaneous translation
This year, its slogan will be «3Ds: Default, Detention, Demurrage». All these words cause panics – all of them we hear from our clients most of all.
This course will be interesting for traders and shipping lawyers, since English Law is the basic one in the international trade.
If you have ever faced such vital issues as:
- How to prolong delivery term without cancelling the contract
- How to mitigate risks
- In which cases prepayment should be refunded
- How to prevent detentions under rail & road carriages
So, to visit our course is a must!
We will also explain the difference between Ukrainian and English law and highlight some nuances based on our case study.
Program our training course
Day 1 (12 APR) — When everything goes OK
Richard Faint, LLM (Southampton), MBA (Shepperton), Ex-Qualified GAFTA Arbitrator (Trade and Maritime), Arbitrator at FOSFA, Arbitrator member at Chambre Arbitrale de Paris, Supporting Member of the London Maritime Arbitrators Association, Arbitrator at London Court of International Arbitration
Topic: English law: basic questions
1. English law:
- Mistakes in understanding common principles
- How is a contract formed?
- Regulations and standard proformas
- Conditions and warranties
2. Contractual correspondence: in writing and in messengers. An offer does not have to be in writing!
3. Bill of Lading, Contract and Charter Party.
- Relationship between the Carrier and the Seller/ Charterer. Practice review
- When does the “risk” pass from Seller to Buyer?
- When does the obligation to issue a Bill of Lading come?
4. Default: what is a must to keep in mind
5. Disputes do arise. What to do then? Most important tips about arbitration
Jean-Paul Dezutter, Laytime Expert. MCIArb Mediator. Supporting Member LMAA. Baltic Expert Witness
Topic: Introduction to Laytime, Demurrage and Despatch. Shipowners’ and charterers’ duties
- When does the clock start to tick?
- Safe ports and berths and anchorages
- Arrived ship, Notices of Readiness
- Statements of Facts
- Notes of Protest
- Handling of claims and disputes
- Time bars
Day 2 (13 APR) — If something goes wrong (case-study):
Igor Kostov Associate attorney at Interlegal law firm
Topic: Peculiarities of execution of trade contracts in modern realities – how it is treated by a commodity trader
Mykola Kozachenkо LLM, Associate attorney at Interlegal law firm
Topic: Black Sea shipping disputes. How has the war in Ukraine impacted the commodity trade: view of a shipowner
Karyna Gorova Associated partner at Interlegal
Topic: Not much has changed. Lifetime peculiarities of commodity trade in containers
See below for registration link. In case of registration till 05.03, your cost will be reduced. See you later!
Force majeure, cargo loss, supply quality that happens,but it can be foreseen. It needs just a comprehensive legal approach and...
Black and Caspian Freight Forum 2023: corridors, cargos, infrastructure is an in-person networking platform for the exper...
- Maritime Day: SEA OF GRAIN 20232023.05.11
We are waiting for you at the conference Maritime day: Sea of Grain, to be held on June 23, 2023, in the center of Odesa.  ...
- Panel discussion: GENERAL AVERAGE2023.04.27
One of the most complex accidents in the maritime business is common. Dear friends, We are announcing a webinar on gene...
Dear friends, We are glad to announce Business Forum: Taxes. Banks. Relocation. Marshall Plan. This year we have planned the larger e...
We teach English Law in the language you understand! Dear friends, we are announcing the beginning of our annual English Law...
Interlegal with the Black Sea Institute of maritime and trade law invites shipping & trade professionals to join Online Shipping &...
The Interlegal team together with the Black Sea Institute invite you to an interactive discussion "Lien on cargo and security for p...
- Training course: ENGLISH CONTRACT LAW2022.08.18
On September 28-29, Interlegal jointly with Black Sea Institute of Maritime and Commercial Law hereby invite you to participate in our t...
- BLACK AND CASPIAN FREIGHT RORUM 20222022.08.04
Black and Caspian Freight Forum 2022: corridors, cargos, infrastructure is an in-person networking platform for the experts from th...